Thursday, January 29, 2009

Writing Lesson

Writing Lesson

A sea of varying shades and hues,
shaggy, short, manageable, spikey,
don’t hate me because I’m beautiful,
long and flowing…

Serious faces with down-cast eyes,
sometimes straying to see
another’s progress. Did I say
the right things? Have I written
enough? Something meaningful?

Confident, contemplative, often stern
glances challenging one
another to judge their words.
Hoping they performed the assignment correctly.

Trying to find the perfect word,
a way to stop, put on the brakes,
without sounding foolish.
Knowing there is no real ending.
Just a pause at the crest of the hill,
before the roller-coaster plunges down again.

How do I instill
the idea that there is no right or wrong,
rather, they take a risk
or short-change themselves?

That, in the end,
is the real lesson.

-Brent Nice 11/13/2007

No comments:

Post a Comment