Thursday, January 29, 2009

To Crystal

Your tears well up and though repressed, spill over,
As I struggle to think of what words I can say.
So I hold you and whisper what wisdom I have to offer
But what good can it do, when your friend died today?

A life’s been cut short, plucked too soon from the vine,
Full of promise, full of love, leaving grief that’s so pure,
A sorrow that dearly I wish instead could be mine,
For ‘tis cruelty, ‘tis injustice that it is you who must endure.

But instead I am lost and you’re right, ‘tis not fair -
And helpless I can only pretend to be strong,
For what more can I do, raise my voice up in prayer
To a God whose choice has surely been wrong?

For when all's said and done, I know not what to say,
For what comfort can I give, when your friend died today?

- Siri Hammond 01/26/09

No comments:

Post a Comment